Saturday, September 15, 2012

Paleo Chicken "Fettuccine Cauli-fredo"

 

Paleo Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo AKA: "Zuchi-ccine Cauli-fredo":


We had A LOT of zucchini from the secret garden. (What is the secret garden you ask? You’ll have to check back to this blog post.) Kyle previously made me some zucchini muffins and made some zucchini bread for himself, we used the rest for grilling (YUM!) and decided to try some Zucchini noodles.

Problem: I don’t have a mandoline. (Is that the right word? Great…now I’m going to end up with a musical instrument for Christmas!) You know what I’m talking about…right? Like a pampered chef slicing thing…yeah…I really want one! It would make this whole process A LOT easier! I had to use a peeler and peel the zucchini into strips and then cut it up into fettuccine size. It works…it just takes a while!

To cook your “noodles”: (Jessica dubbed them zuchi-ccine. I told her I didn’t think it would stick…but maybe?!)
Slice and sprinkle with salt – let rest to draw the moisture out. (About 20 minutes)
Rinse the salt off and now dry the noodles with a paper towel
Saute the noodles in some olive oil and season to taste.

Cauli-fredo:
I tweaked a little bit. My tweaks in italics
Ingredients:
  • 1 head of cauliflower, cored and chopped into large chunks
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 shallot - Chives from Secret Garden only because I can’t have onion
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 3 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan – I added a little more
  • 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
  • salt/pepper to taste
  • Garlic powder
  • pinch of nutmeg
Instructions:
1. Steam cauliflower until fork-tender. 
2. While cauliflower steams, heat olive oil over medium low heat in a small pot and saute shallot. Add chicken broth and heat through. Add all other ingredients and heat through.
3. Add cauliflower, shallot/broth mixture, and remaining ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add more coconut milk if needed.

We served it with some leftover chicken.

It is one of those surprisingly yummy recipes. Who knew Cauliflower could be so good!J

No comments:

Post a Comment