Saturday, September 15, 2012

Commit to be Fit


(Me and my beautiful spreadsheet....day 1...complete!
I look so bad in this picture! I had just finished working out.
It is black and white so you can't see how ridiculously red my face is!)

 Proverbs 31:17

She girds herself with strength,
And strengthens her arms.

Who knew the Proverbs 31 woman was buff! (Is that rude…I didn’t mean it to be rude!)
I have been putting this one off for a LONG time.  But we were able to get my health under control, our eating, our budget, the housework.  What could I tackle next?  Exercise.  I know one reason this one is a hard one for me.  I get quite obsessive about it.  If I say I’m going to do it every day…then I MUST do it every day.  It stresses me out if I don’t.  If I say I’m going to exercise 30 minutes…then I feel like I need to push it to 45.  If I’m going to jog 3 miles…I should push it to 3.5 or 4.  It just gets a little overwhelming. So I avoid it!

I'll exercise now and then but I haven't been doing anything consistent. I know there are so many benefits to consistency.  If Kyle wants to go on a 10 mile hike - I want to be able to keep up and not feel like I’m going to die! I need to build muscle. So many health benefits…so many excuses!

Like…"I need to make dinner when I get home."  "I don’t get off work consistently at the same time."  "I need to spend time with Kyle when I get off. " "I don’t want to get up earlier in the morning to work out, my face is red all day."  "I don’t want to do it when I get off…then I have to shower again. " …you get the idea…

I need to challenge myself and be a little more consistent with my exercise. 31 days...I can do it! (Putting it in bold makes me sound a little more confident than I actually am!)
I decided I needed to build in a little flexibility into this 31 day challenge.  That had worked really well with my cleaning project.

So here is what I came up with:
  • 31 days (My lucky number)
  • 30 minutes a day. (Don’t overdo it and over commit.  If I can do more…great!)
  • Whatever activity I want. ( I’m not going to commit to Couch to 5K…P90X…Strength Traning…TurboFire.  I need to just start somewhere and start building some consistency that is maintainable.)
  • FLEXIBILITY:  And this is the key!  If I do 31 days and 30 minutes a day that is 930 minutes.  So what if I just say that I need to complete 930 minutes in the month.  That way if I miss a day because something more important comes up I haven’t FAILED and it doesn’t stress me out and I can make it up another day.  Or, if I can only make 15 minutes on one day, but Kyle and I go for an hour hike on another day.  It all evens out.
  • Accountability:  Well…I’m posting it here.  Even if no one reads it. Maybe I can recruit some others. I also created a spreadsheet. (You know I love my spreadsheets!)  It has my 31 days to cross off and my 930 minutes to highlight as I complete.  A good visual…and I get to check something off a list...FUN!

I had a couple "false starts" on this one...but I started over and I'm on Day 3 now! I’m looking forward to the benefits and building on it in the future.

I usually like to wait and post that I’ve succeeded at something.  But I think I need to put it out there at the beginning.  This one is going to be a tough one for me. So here it goes….

Hopefully I can give you an update soon that says I’ve completed another challenge.

What works for you?  What gets in your way?

If you need a buddy to help hold you accountable…let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I need an accountability buddy! :) I am trying to get back into exercising every day, eating healthy, and logging all my foods. I also have a goal to juice more often, and drink more water. I'll check up on you if you check up on me! :)

    ReplyDelete