Monday, April 8, 2013

We're Back!

We're Back!

A lot has been going on the past few months! First off, I DID finish my Positivity/Gratitude challenge; a few people had asked me about that. We lost internet connection for a few days so I never updated it online. Then it was full swing into the Holidays. Then I started not feeling so well. You probably all heard because my sister and Mom outed me on Facebook...Kyle and I are expecting Baby Wilson September 10th! (Hence the not feeling so well around the Holidays!)

Meet Baby Wilson! :)
This ultrasound was taken a while back. I'm currently 18 weeks and our little person is the size of a bell pepper! Coincidentally...what we had for dinner tonight...but I'll come back to that!

I don't have much time tonight, so I'll have to write more later regarding my thoughts and preparation for motherhood. Wait a minute...I'm going to be a Mom...there is a little person inside of me right now...Ahhh! (Those freak out moments happen every once in a while!)

There is a specific purpose I am dusting off the blog and posting tonight. I need some public accountability.

A little background...The first trimester of pregnancy was a little brutal and really played some mind games with me. All the foods that I had enjoyed eating were suddenly repulsive to me. As hard as I tried to find things Paleo to eat I eventually gave in and just ate whatever sounded good or I could stomach at the time...JUNK! (A four-letter word!) I was pretty much useless those first few weeks...just ask Kyle! I think that is a big reason that I didn't post on my blog for so long. I felt like everything I had been working toward was out the window and I felt like a failure! I didn't know how I was going to make it through...or WHY people CHOSE to do this more than once!? :)

Long story short I am starting to feel better. (I'm almost a functioning human again!) The problem is I am stuck in this cycle of not making the best eating choices for me (which impacts everything else in my life). I have tried to get back on track with Paleo, but keep veering off course. I fall into the, "You're pregnant, you should just have that ______ (insert sugary, starchy, no nutrient item here)!"

I am committing myself (publicly) to 30 days of Paleo eating. Kyle is joining me! (With one exception - he is allowed to have dairy.) I am not going to go strict Whole 30. If I want to make some Paleo cookies or waffles - I'm going to allow for that. I may end up having a little more fruit, honey, etc. than I would normally have or recommend.

In full disclosure - here is why I'm doing it! (I know some of these things may just be par for the course with pregnancy - but I also feel like many of them are caused, or exasperated by my poor eating habits. I know I don't do well with sugar and grains...I've got to stop to be healthy for me and baby!) Why do I share these things...
  • I have gained 15 pounds! Okay...maybe even a little more! (Don't try to tell me that is okay. I know it isn't the end of the world...but really...the baby is the size of a bell pepper...I need to slow down!)
  • Stuffy nose - EVERY MORNING and most of the day. A lot of coughing at night.
  • Horrible headaches!
  • Just recently my joints (elbows, shoulders, hips, knees) have been really achy in the morning. It dawned on me that I used to have this problem a couple years ago before I started eating clean.
  • My skin isn't as clear as it was.
  • SWELLING! My fingers look like sausages and my face looks like someone punched me when I wake up in the morning.
  • Stomach troubles - my stomach feels like it is in knots. Not fun!
  • Heartburn - horrible, horrible heartburn. Sugar and wheat really make this a lot worse...but I still have been eating it. Explain that one to me!
  • Insomnia
  • I'm starting to feel myself losing patience with people. I am not handling stressful situations at work as well as I have in the past. (And it is starting to get really stressful at work!) I have got to get this under control. It isn't healthy for the baby either. Not to mention my poor husband! :) He has been pretty incredible through this entire thing - more about that some other time!
  • Not as clear headed as I have been in the past.
  • Depression!
  • No energy.
Okay...I think you get the idea!

I'm hoping getting back on track with eating clean will help eliminate or at least help me to manage better some of these things. With that and a lot of prayer...hopefully I will be a more enjoyable, contributing member of society, a better wife, friend, sister-in-Christ and eventually...MOM! (That still sounds a little strange!)

My plan is to keep track of what I'm eating and share it on my blog...the good days and the not so good days. Hopefully I'll hold myself accountable a little better and get out of the rut I've been in.

Today I had:
Lara bar for breakfast (not the best choice!)
Banana and cashews for snack
Roasted chicken and carrots for lunch
Coconut macaroon for snack (also not the best choice!)
Shrimp Curry with spinach and bell peppers for dinner (To drink: sparkling water with Mandarin juice)
Dried apricots for snack

I also set myself up for success tomorrow by packing my lunch and starting on some breakfast. Kyle and I made some sweet potato hash browns (with coconut oil and cinnamon and a little drizzle of maple) that we will be enjoying for breakfast with some eggs.

Okay...now to tackle the rest of my To-Do list before this day is over.

Day 1 down...wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment