Wednesday, September 5, 2012

31 is a powerful number!


A series of 31 day challenges:

(my Grandfather's Bible)
 
Proverbs 31:10,11,17
10 Who[b] can find a virtuous[c] wife?
For her worth is far above rubies.
11 The heart of her husband safely trusts her;
So he will have no lack of gain.
29 “Many daughters have done well,
But you excel them all.”

Impressive.  What an amazing description of a Godly woman. I want to be a “Proverbs 31 woman.” I’ve been lucky enough to know a few of them in my life. I’ve been blessed to call some of them Grandmother, Mother, Aunt, and Sister in Christ.  But when I read this passage sometimes the negative talk starts to happen – "I could never be that!" Or then there is the paralyzing, "I have such a long way to go!"
...so many things to change...so many things I want to work on...so many shortcomings...
So overwhelming!

Then I have to remind myself…With God all things are possible! (Matt. 19:26) 
And...He wouldn’t ask something of me that is not possible.
(I once overheard my very wise mother say that to someone else
…but I think she wanted me to hear it!)


Below is a picture of my Grandfather's Bible and a closer look at what he wrote under Proverbs 31...

When I look at my Grandfather's precious handwriting I think, how amazing for your husband to be able to say that about you!

So it is possible...now the question is just..."Where do I start?!"

Step 1 (for me):
I started reading a really great book a few months back. “A Wife After God’s Own Heart.”  I loved every word of it and what God wanted for my life.  But I had to find a way to make it practical, to mediate on it and not slip back to the every day. We started a monthly study with some young married ladies from church. It has been so great. I really appreciate our time together. I admire and love all of these ladies dearly.

The problem is I want everything to be “perfect” right now. I have to be careful when I start thinking like this; it can actually keep me from making any progress at all.

So silly! So “stuck” at times! So many wasted years!
So excited for the future!

Like I said before, sticking out that first 30 day challenge of the Whole 30 was so enlightening.  It really did change my life in so many ways. I was pretty determined to stick with it because I was so hopeful that it would provide relief from my health issues and keep me off medication. Making it through, and seeing results above and beyond what I was hoping for, gave me the excitement to take on some challenges in other areas of my life. I also now had the energy to do it!

Step 2 (for me):
Continue to build on the successes I had made in my Whole 30 challenge.  The "challenge" format seems to work for me.  It may seem silly for some people, but I work really well with goals and checklists. (What can I say...I'm my mother's daughter!)

So here is what I am thinking...
I'm going to do a series of 31 day challenges focusing on things mentioned in Proverbs 31 and things that I would like to improve on in general.  I have to be so deliberate about things sometimes or I find I slip back into my old ways.  I also find it helps to focus on one thing at a time so it doesn't get too overwhelming trying to change everything at once.

Why 31 days?  I'm 31 this year...officially in my 30's! (When did that happen?!) I was also inspired by Proverbs 31.  It is about a months time. It is long enough for it to become a habit. It just seemed like a good number. :)

I've already completed a couple of challenges and I'll share the results with you soon.

One last thing...
You may think I’m a lazy loser after reading all of this. Guess what…in many ways I was. I have a lot of really great qualities too. I’m just so happy I’m finally taking the steps necessary to be the person I want to be and that God wants me to be. The person that Kyle deserves and the person that I’m proud to be.  I'm so thankful I found a lifestyle that is making me strong and healthy and helping me to be able to make the changes I have been wanting to.

Maybe there are areas you can relate to. Maybe you have ideas and suggestions.  Either way, I'd love to hear. :)

God bless you on your journey!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment